New Delhi [India], April 29 (ANI/ATK): Gold has been a reliable store of value for centuries, making it a popular choice as collateral. Whether you need funds for personal or business purposes, borrowing against gold can provide a quick and easy solution. However, the gold loan interest rate you pay can vary significantly, as with any loan.
The gold loan interest rate is a critical factor to consider when you use gold as security to get financing. This is because the interest rate directly impacts the total cost of the loan, and even slight differences in interest rates can add to significant savings or costs over time.
Getting the lowest gold loan interest rate possible can help you save money in the long run, making it easier to repay the loan and achieve your financial goals. So, before applying for a gold loan, use an online gold loan EMI calculator to estimate your repayment liability.
By changing the rate of interest and keeping all other factors the same, you can see how even a small difference in rates affects your EMIs and total interest dues. This tool can give you an idea of how much you will need to pay back, allowing you to plan your finances accordingly.
Read on to explore the steps you can take to get the lowest gold loan interest rate possible and the factors that affect it.
Understanding the Factors Affecting Gold Loan Interest Rates
Gold loans are a popular form of borrowing, where you pledge your gold as collateral for a loan. While the gold is held as collateral, the lender charges an interest on the loan. However, not all gold loans have the same interest rates, and several factors influence the rate charged by the lender. Take a look at what they are.
- Loan Amount: Your desired loan amount is one of the primary factors affecting the interest rate on a gold loan. Generally, higher loan amounts attract higher interest rates, while lower loan amounts may be charged at lower interest rates. The higher interest is charged to ensure that the lender can accommodate the increased risk associated with lending you more funds.
- Loan Tenure: The tenure or duration of the loan is another factor impacting the gold loan interest rate. Short-term loans usually have higher interest rates than long-term loans.
- Loan-to-Value Ratio (LTV): Loan-to-value ratio is the percentage of the gold's market value the lender is willing to lend. The LTV ratio can vary from one lender to another and impact the interest rate charged. While the RBI had capped the LTV at 75 per cent earlier, it raised it to 90 per cent until March 31, 2023.
Higher LTV may attract higher interest rates than lower LTV ratios. However, keep in mind that since a gold loan is a secured loan, the gold loan interest rate is comparatively lower than that of unsecured loans.
- Monthly Income: A stable income source is an essential prerequisite when availing a gold loan. This can reduce the interest rate as the lender is assured of your repayment capability. On the other hand, you may be charged a higher interest rate if you have a low monthly income.
- Market Conditions: Interest rates on gold loans may also be influenced by uncertainties in market conditions, such as inflation, changes in government policies, demand for gold, and fluctuations in gold prices in India and across the world. In addition, the RBI's repo rate is used by lenders as a benchmark to set their own loan interest rates.
Strategies for Getting the Lowest Gold Loan Interest Rates
Getting the lowest interest rate on a gold loan can help you save money and make borrowing against gold more affordable. Here are some strategies for securing the best gold loan interest rates.
- Compare Lenders
One of the best ways to get the lowest gold loan interest rate is to compare lenders. Various lenders offer different interest rates, so it is essential that you check multiple options before selecting a lender.
You can start by researching online and contacting lenders to get quotes. Be sure to ask about the loan processing fees and other charges, such as appraisal fees or early repayment penalties, as these can add to the overall cost of the loan.
- Negotiate the Interest Rate
Once you have received quotes from multiple lenders, try negotiating the interest rate. Lenders may be willing to negotiate to secure your business, especially if you have a spotless repayment history and a good credit score.
Explain why you deserve a lower interest rate by citing your credit history, income, or assets. You can also use the quotes you received from other lenders as leverage to negotiate a lower rate.
- Improve Your Credit Score
Your credit score is a significant factor in determining your interest rate, regardless of whether you borrow against gold or apply for an unsecured loan. Lenders use your credit score to assess your risk as a borrower, so having a high score can help you get a lower interest rate. However, if your credit score is low, you can improve by paying off debts, making timely payments, and disputing errors on your credit report.
- Choose a Shorter Loan Term
The length of your loan term can also affect your gold loan interest rate. Usually, gold loans are short-term credit facilities with repayment tenures varying from a week to up to 3 years. So, be smart when planning the repayment tenure to help you pay off the loan within the stipulated duration. Likewise, if you can afford higher monthly payments, choosing a shorter loan term can help you save money on interest in the long run.
Since the gold loan interest rates can vary, it is essential to carefully evaluate your financial situation and choose a loan that fits your needs and budget.
When you are using gold as collateral, remember that borrowing comes with risks and responsibilities. With tools like the gold loan EMI calculator, you can take an informed approach and borrow conscientiously.
In addition, make sure that the lender you choose gets your gold appraised from a reliable evaluator, no matter whether you pledge jewellery or bars. You can also get your gold appraised yourself so you can get the right value as a loan. With these tips in mind, you can borrow confidently and get a lower gold loan interest rate.
This story has been provided by ATK. ANI will not be responsible in any way for the content of this article. (ANI/ATK)